Thursday, January 29, 2009

G'Day Mates!

As a Girl Scout Leader for two troops, one of my many challenges is to help girls come up with SWAPS!


What is a SWAP? It's a Special Whatchamacallit Affectionately Pinned Somewhere. Yeah, whatever...It's basically homemade FLAIR!


In February we are to represent Australia at our World Thinking Day Event (we are thinking about Girls in other countries sharing in our Girl Scout experience). Anyhoo, we need some Aussie Flair. As we attempt to share a bit of an Aussie experience with our Girl Scout sisters here in the US, we want to give them a "lil' sumthin" to pin to their hat.


We have thought of lots of easy things to do ( EASY seems to be the KEY for my co-leader....as in "let's take the easy way out" - I do not agree with this philosophy!! ). Mainly the ideas are boring. I wanted to paint mini Boomerangs, but I can't find the wooden shapes ANYWHERE that are small enough. That would have been fun!!


They ruled out making Pom Pom Koalas, too tedious. Fine by me, while I welcome the work I thought it was a snooze to give away Pom Pom animals.


My absolute favorite idea was to make Aboriginal shrunken heads out of beads and rick-rack. That idea was considered "too much work". BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!


So, I'm thinking and searching, but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas, by all means, SHARE! I may be making Aboriginal heads with just my daughter. It would be rude, to have a boring troop SWAP and then for her to have her own cool one, but I'm beginning to not give a shit at all.
The latest decision was to print off pictures of Koalas and have it laminated and stick a pin through it. Now, tell me, what kid is going to find a piece of paper exciting!!??
BLEH.